ORGANISATION/COMPANYEindhoven University of Technology (TU/e)
RESEARCHER PROFILEFirst Stage Researcher (R1)
APPLICATION DEADLINE30/09/2017 22:00 - UTC
TYPE OF CONTRACTPermanent
HOURS PER WEEK38
PhD on Physical Layer Design for Converged Optical Fiber and mm wave Communications in 5G Networks.
Eindhoven University of Technology (https://www.tue.nl/en/) is one of Europe's top technological universities, situated at the heart of a most innovative high-tech region. Thanks to a wealth of collaborations with industry and academic institutes, our research has real-world impact. In 2015, TU/e was ranked 106th in the Times Higher Educational World University ranking and 49th in the Shanghai ARWU ranking (engineering). TU/e has around 3,000 employees and 2,300 PhD students (half of which international, representing about 70 nationalities).
The PhD candidate will work at the Department of Electrical Engineering (https://www.tue.nl/en/university/departments/electrical-engineering/). Within the Department of Electrical Engineering at TU/e, research and education is done in the areas of Telecommunication, Signal processing, and energy transfer. The Interfaculty institute COBRA (Communication technology: Basic Research and Applications) as of 2017, which is now known as the Institute for Photonic Integration (IPI) performs research in the area of broadband telecommunication techniques, encompassing optical communication as well as radio communication. As a key member of IPI, the Electro-Optical Communication Systems (ECO) group focuses its research on optical communication system techniques, ranging from systems for ultra-high capacity long reach single mode transmission links, multi-mode and multi-core transmission systems, ultra-fast (all-) optical packet switching nodes, to multi-service flexible access and in-building networks. ECO is has also participated in several national and international projects in the area of access, metro and core transmission networks.Expected contributionsThe candidate will perform research in the domain of convergence of optical fiber communications with mm wave wireless communications for 5G Networks with emphasis on physical layer design, and will be expected to perform the following tasks:
Research: i) design and optimization of a converged mm wave-UDWDM PON configuration in a dense urban area, by identifying the physical-layer requirements of the fiber-based network for the support of wireless users. ii) to design and test the Central Office for the converged network, and iii) generic research in 5G and beyond fiber-wireless convergence.
Teamwork: Collaboration with the TU/e team and with other 5G STEP FWD partners, including simulation, modelling, development and integration, laboratory set-up, equipment maintenance, deliverables, and grant applications.
Teaching: Contribution to TU/e teaching, instructions, laboratories and student assessment.
Travelling: Travel abroad to attend project meetings, summer schools, conduct field experiments and present work at conferences and grant submissions. The candidate will perform a secondment of a maximum of 10 months to other 5G STEP FWD partner.The projectThe PhD candidate will work within the framework of the European Horizon 2020 ITN 5G STEP FWD, started in June 2017. The objectives of the research program of 5G STEP FWD are:
1. Analyze, design and optimize new network architectures of mm wave HetNets, where mmWave small cells are located where the fiber goes, coexisting with overlaid conventional microwave base stations.
2. Analyze and design optical backhaul networks that provide connectivity to the huge number of small cells, by jointly optimizing the backhaul latency/throughput requirements, and the fiber installation cost.
3. Analyze, design and optimize new transmission technologies that provide mobility support to mm wave end users by facing several cell association and interference coordination challenges through the efficient exploitation of the optical backhaul network.
5G STEP-FWD aims at solving fundamental research challenges for the convergence of the fiber-wireless architecture, which are grouped in three main categories:
1. Wireless Challenges (WC) referring to radical changes in the mm wave network.
2. Optical Challenges (OC) referring to radical changes in the optical network.
3. Optical-Wireless Challenges (OWC) referring to radical changes in the converged network.
The TU/e team will address mainly the challenge 3 and in particular the convergence optical fiber-mm wave wireless solutions for 5G networks.
We offer a challenging job at a dynamic and ambitious university through a fixed-term appointment for the period of 4 years. The research in this project must be concluded with the attainment of a Ph.D. degree. As an employee of the university you will receive a competitive salary as well as excellent employment conditions. A salary is offered starting at € 2222.-per month (gross) in the first year, increasing up to EUR 2840.- per month (gross) in the last year. Moreover, an 8% bonus share (holiday supplement) is provided annually. Assistance for finding accommodation can be given. The university offers an attractive package of fringe benefits such as excellent technical infrastructure, child care, savings schemes, and excellent sports facilities.
TU/e also offers you the opportunity for personal development by developing your social and communication skills. We do this by offering every PhD student a series of courses that are part of the proof proof program as an excellent addition to your scientific education.
More information on employment conditions can be found here: employment conditions .
For further information about the project you can contact: Idelfonso Tafur Monroy, email email@example.com
For information concerning employment conditions, you can contact: Ms. Tanja van Waterschoot, email firstname.lastname@example.org
Applicants must complete and upload the requested information via the following application form: 5gstepfwd.eu/oaf-2017 and needs to select the positions TU/e-1 and/or TU/e-2, no later than 30 September 2017.
Besides this, please also apply via the 'apply now' button. You must upload the following documents (PDF format only):
- Cover letter, explaining your motivation for applying and how you meet the job requirements (1 A4 page maximum);
- A detailed Curriculum Vitae, including also a list of publications, awards and contact information of two referees;
- Copies of diplomas, including list of courses taken and grades obtained;
- Proof of English language skills (if you are not a native speaker);
- Any other information you deem relevant (e.g. PDF of a recent paper).
Please bear in mind: you can only upload 5 PDF documents (up to 2 MB each).
Web site for additional job details
Candidate profile (essential)
- MSc degree in electrical engineering, telecommunications, applied physics or computer science
- Hands-on experience in experimental set-ups and laboratory work with optical fiber and/ wireless communications
- Solid knowledge of optical fiber communications and wireless communication systems
- Proven team-working and communication skills
- English proficiency (both verbal and written)
- Willingness to start as soon as possible (before December 2017)
- Fulfill the ITN mobility and ESR recruitment requirements
Candidate profile (desirable)
- Experience with optical fiber communication software simulation tools
- Familiar with network optimization techniques and tools
EURAXESS offer ID: 216441
Posting organisation offer ID: 40327