ORGANISATION/COMPANYTechnical University Of Denmark
RESEARCH FIELDChemistry › Physical chemistryComputer science › OtherPhysics › Chemical physics
RESEARCHER PROFILEFirst Stage Researcher (R1)
APPLICATION DEADLINE04/07/2019 12:00 - Europe/Brussels
LOCATIONDenmark › Roskilde
TYPE OF CONTRACTTemporary
HOURS PER WEEK37
Department of Energy Conversion and Storage at the Technical University of Denmark (DTU Energy) invites applications for two 2-year postdoc positions to work in the area of atomic-scale computational modelling and method development for battery materials. The project aims to develop a new type of commercially viable metal-air battery. The research project will be carried out in the Section for Atomic Scale Materials Modelling in close collaboration with a leading international industrial partner. We provide an international, inspiring and dynamic research environment.
We have recently implemented our cluster expansion code, CLuster Expansion in Atomic Simulation Environment (CLEASE: https://doi.org/10.1088/1361-648X/ab1bbc), which is used for studying thermodynamic properties of disordered materials. Successful candidates will use and further develop CLEASE to study properties of metals and alloys (both bulk and interface) as battery anode materials. Another aspect of the project is to design the optimal polymer-based electrolyte to be used in the metal-air battery. The two postdocs will work closely together with each other and experimentalists to discover novel materials for future metal-air batteries.
Main duties of the positions include:
- Carry out DFT calculations
- Expand the capabilities of CLEASE (cluster expansion on slabs/surfaces, incorporate machine learning techniques, etc.)
- Prediction of battery and materials properties (open-circuit voltage, phase stability/metastability, etc.)
- Design and predict properties of polymer-based electrolytes based on DFT calculations
- These tasks will be prioritized according to the background and skills of the selected candidates.
The project will be carried out in close collaboration with experimental groups within DTU Energy. In addition, successful candidates will be given opportunity to participate in other computational research activities on batteries and catalytic materials that align with the activities of the project.
Candidates should have a PhD degree in computational/theoretical physics, chemistry, materials science or equivalent.
The core skills for the project are:
- Excellent communication skills in English (both written and verbal)
- Good practical knowledge of DFT
- Ability to work independently and take responsibility for progress and quality of projects
- Ability to work in a team environment
- Strong computer programming skills and experience in software development (preferably in Python)
The following background and experiences are desirable:
- Experience in using the CALPHAD method
- Experience in using/implementing cluster expansion, machine-learning techniques and database
- Experience with electrochemical energy storage and polymer modelling
- Good knowledge of thermodynamics, statistical mechanics and kinetics of materials
The assessment of the applicants will be made by Profs. Tejs Vegge, Juan Maria García Lastra and Jin Hyun Chang.
DTU is a leading technical university globally recognized for the excellence of its research, education, innovation and scientific advice. We offer a rewarding and challenging job in an international environment. We strive for academic excellence in an environment characterized by collegial respect and academic freedom tempered by responsibility.
Salary and terms of employment
The appointment will be based on the collective agreement with the Danish Confederation of Professional Associations. The allowance will be agreed upon with the relevant union.
You can read more about career paths at DTU here.
The employment is expected to start September 1st, 2019 or soon thereafter.
Please do not send applications to this e-mail address, instead apply online as described below.
We must have your online application by 4 July 2019.
To view the full announcement and to apply: www.career.dtu.dk
EURAXESS offer ID: 418567
The responsibility for the jobs published on this website, including the job description, lies entirely with the publishing institutions. The application is handled uniquely by the employer, who is also fully responsible for the recruitment and selection processes.
Please contact email@example.com if you wish to download all jobs in XML.