ORGANISATION/COMPANYNTNU Norwegian University of Science and Technology
RESEARCH FIELDTechnology › Marine technology
RESEARCHER PROFILEFirst Stage Researcher (R1)
APPLICATION DEADLINE02/07/2019 23:00 - Europe/Brussels
LOCATIONNorway › Trondheim
TYPE OF CONTRACTTemporary
HOURS PER WEEK37,5
We have a vacancy for a PhD position on Advanced analysis and design of fish farms in exposed waters at the Centre for Autonomous Marine Operations and Systems (AMOS), Department of Marine Technology.
Offshore aquaculture is in rapid development. The industry is currently moving from sheltered waters to more and more exposed locations. A large number of novel installations have been proposed. They are often very different from conventional fish frames and existing design methods will not apply. As the fish farms become ever larger, it becomes more and more important to perform robust and safe design to avoid fish escape or structural collapse. Thus, new advanced methods as well as simpler, design-oriented methods should be developed. The goal of the PhD-work is to contribute to this development
The position reports to Professor Sverre Steen
Main duties and responsibilities
- The ultimate goal is to develop rational procedures for advanced design of fish farms using fundamental techniques for loads, load effects and capacity assessment. Relevant capacity checks are fatigue, ultimate strength and progressive collapse. .
- Studies of unique and unconventional fish farm concepts may be anticipated where modelling for loads calculation (including the net) and structural response assessment is not straightforward and where in-depth knowledge and insight in the essential structural behaviour is required.
- Methods that have been developed for analysis of oil and gas installations, challenging ship structural problems, long floating bridges and offshore wind turbines may be considered for application.
- On the basis of advanced analysis develop simplified models and rule formulations for design verification.
- Collaboration with the centre for research based innovations (SFI) Exposed managed by SINTEF Ocean is expected.
The PhD-position's main objective is to qualify for work in research positions. The qualification requirement is completion of a master’s degree or second degree (equivalent to 120 credits) with a strong academic background inMarine Technology or equivalent education with a grade of B or better in terms of NTNU’s grading scale. Applicants with no letter grades from previous studies must have an equally good academic foundation. Applicants who are unable to meet these criteria may be considered only if they can document that they are particularly suitable candidates for education leading to a PhD degree.
The appointment is to be made in accordance with the regulations in force concerning State Employees and Civil Servants and national guidelines for appointment as PhD, postdoctor and research assistant
NTNU is committed to following evaluation criteria for research quality according to The San Francisco Declaration on Research Assessment - DORA.
- Master’s degree in Marine Technology.
- Excellent knowledge of:
- the description and modelling of environmental conditions
- hydrodynamic loads calculation
- load effect analysis including fluid-structure interaction effects based on linear or nonlinear finite element software and design procedures for ocean structures w.r.t to fatigue (FLS), ultimate strength (ULS) and accident limit state (ALS) requirements
- Excellent English skills, written and spoken, are required. Applicants from non-English speak countries outside Europe must present an official language test report. The acceptable tests are TOEFL, IELTS, and Cambridge Certificate in Advanced English (CAE) or Cambridge Certificate of Proficiency in English (CPE). Minimum scores are:
- TOEFL: 600 / writing 4.5 (paper-based test), 92 / writing 22 (internet-based test)
- IELTS: 6.5, with no section lower than 5.5 (only Academic IELTS test accepted)
- CAE/CPE: grade B or A.
• Relevant industry experience is advantageous.
• Academic results, publications, relevant specialization, work or research experience, personal qualifications, and motivation and a desire to make an impact on development of rational methods for safe design of modern fish farm concepts will be considered when evaluating the applicants.
- High motivation, enthusiasm and dedication to the work
- Willingness to work independently as well as to communicate and collaborate with other researchers
- Active engagement in the search for solutions to research challenges
In the evaluation of which candidate is best qualified, emphasis will be placed on education, experience and personal suitability, as well as motivation, in terms of the qualification requirements specified in the advertisement
- exciting and stimulating tasks in a strong international academic environment
- an open and inclusive work environment with dedicated colleagues
- favourable terms in the Norwegian Public Service Pension Fund
- employee benefits
Salary and conditions
PhD candidates are remunerated in code 1017, and are normally remunerated at gross from NOK 479 600 before tax per year. Note: Preliminary table subject to the approval by the Storting. From the salary, 2 % is deducted as a contribution to the Norwegian Public Service Pension Fund.
The period of employment is 3 years. Appointment to a PhD position requires admission to the PhD programme in Marine Technology (https://www.ntnu.edu/imt).
As a PhD candidate, you undertake to participate in an organized PhD programme during the employment period. A condition of appointment is that you are in fact qualified for admission to the PhD programme within three months.
The engagement is to be made in accordance with the regulations in force concerning State Employees and Civil Servants, and the acts relating to Control of the Export of Strategic Goods, Services and Technology. Candidates who by assessment of the application and attachment are seen to conflict with the criterias in the latter law will be prohibited from recruitment to NTNU. After the appointment you must assume that there may be changes in the area of work.
A good work environment is characterized by diversity. We encourage qualified candidates to apply, regardless of their gender, functional capacity or cultural background. Under the Freedom of Information Act (offentleglova), information about the applicant may be made public even if the applicant has requested not to have their name entered on the list of applicants.
Questions about the position can be directed to Professor Jørgen Amdahl, Department of Marine Technology, NTNU, Trondheim. phone number 95745663, E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
About the application:
Publications and other academic works that the applicant would like to be considered in the evaluation must accompany the application. Joint works will be considered. If it is difficult to identify the individual applicant's contribution to joint works, the applicant must include a brief description of his or her contribution.
Please submit your application electronically via jobbnorge.no with your CV, diplomas and certificates. Applicants invited for interview must include certified copies of transcripts and reference letters. Please refer to the application number IV-192/19 when applying.
Application deadline: 02.07.2019
NTNU - knowledge for a better world
The Norwegian University of Science and Technology (NTNU) creates knowledge for a better world and solutions that can change everyday life.
Department of Marine Technology
We develop methods and technology related to the blue economy: oil and gas extraction at sea, ship technology and the equipment industry, fisheries and aquaculture. We also have a strong commitment to the development of sustainable solutions for offshore renewable energy, coastal infrastructure, and marine robotics. Marine technology helps to solve major global challenges related to the environment, climate, energy, food and efficient transport. The Department of Marine Technology is one of eight departments in the Faculty of Engineering.
Open, Transparent, Merit based Recruitment procedures of Researchers (OTM-R)
Know more about it at NTNU Norwegian University of Science and Technology
Know more about OTM-R
EURAXESS offer ID: 418607
The responsibility for the jobs published on this website, including the job description, lies entirely with the publishing institutions. The application is handled uniquely by the employer, who is also fully responsible for the recruitment and selection processes.
Please contact email@example.com if you wish to download all jobs in XML.