ORGANISATION/COMPANYUniversity of Basel
RESEARCH FIELDBiological sciences
RESEARCHER PROFILEFirst Stage Researcher (R1)
APPLICATION DEADLINE18/07/2019 23:00 - Europe/Brussels
LOCATIONSwitzerland › Basel
TYPE OF CONTRACTTemporary
HOURS PER WEEK40
The Swiss Tropical and Public Health Institute (Swiss TPH) is a world-leading institute in global health with a particular focus on low- and middle-income countries. Associated with the University of Basel, Swiss TPH combines research, services, and education and training at the local, national and international level. Over 800 people from more than 70 nations work at Swiss TPH focusing on infectious and non-communicable diseases, environment, society and health as well as health systems and interventions.
Within the Department of Epidemiology and Public Health (EPH) the Household Economics and Health Systems Research Unit develops and applies economic, epidemiological, statistical and mathematical methods to advance innovation, validation, and application in the field of public health. To support our efforts in the area of infectious diseases and health systems research in Switzerland, the Household Health Systems Research group is looking for a Scientific Collaborator
in Foodborne Disease Epidemiology in Swiss Infectious Disease Epidemiology
The scientific collaborator will work population-based cohort study on acute gastrointestinal illnesses in Switzerland.
Within our Swiss health systems research portfolio, we focus on infectious diseases and surveillance systems. We aim to understand the so-called burden of illness pyramid, hence, how disease incidence at population-level translates into notification numbers. This involves researching all steps from a patient falling ill to consulting a physician for treatment, being tested and finally notified to the official surveillance system. We work on notifiable foodborne infections in Switzerland.
You will help to set up and manage a cohort study on acute gastroenteritis in all Switzerland.
Your responsibilities include:
- Planning, coordinating and managing the epidemiological, aetiological and medical components of the cohort study
- Developing data collection tools
- Coordinating field work and collaboration with internal and external partners incl. federal entities
- Study management and budget control
- Statistical data analysis and write-up of results for different target audiences (incl. reporting to funders and preparation of scientific publications)
- Leading the study team, including co-supervising PhD and MSc students together with the PI
- Engaging in other projects of the research group and unit, mainly funded by the Swiss Government and linked to foodborne infectious diseases and surveillance
- Supporting developing funding applications
You should have the following experiences and skills in:
- PhD degree in Epidemiology, Public Health, Infectious Diseases, Medicine or a related field; or Master's degree in one of those fields with several years of working experience preferably in the health system.
- Excellent organisational and project management skills
- Strong communication and negotiation skills, ability to approach people easily
- Experience in managing large databases, quality control, data cleaning and analysis
- Ability to communicate fluently in spoken and written English as well as in at least two official languages of Switzerland (German, French, Italian)
- Strong publication record and drive to publish scientifically in English language
- Excellent presentation skills
- Interest in infectious diseases (especially foodborne infections), healthcare seeking, microbiology and/or antibiotic resistances
- Knowledge of and experience in exchanging with the stakeholders (public/private) in the Swiss health care system at federal and cantonal level.
We offer you
- Possibility to bring in own ideas and interests
- Work in a diverse, multi-disciplinary team and academic environment
- Flexible work schedule
Swiss TPH an equal opportunity employer committed to excellence through diversity.
Please submit your application online via the link provided below:
If you are interested, please submit your application with:
"Motivational letter, incl. salary expectations and ideal work effort (80% or fulltime)
"Course grades and transcripts
"Names and contact information (email or phone) of 3 references
Please note that we can only accept applications via our online recruiting tool: https://recruitingapp-2698.umantis.com/Jobs/All
Applications via e-mail or external recruiter will not be considered.
The position is available immediately.
There is no closing date for application, but we encourage applicants to submit their application as soon as possible. The position is vacant as long as it is published on our Swiss TPH Webpage.
Contact: Prof. Dr Daniel Mäusezahl, ( email@example.com )
Start Date: As soon as possible
Location: Basel, Switzerland
Duration: Initially a period of 2 years, but can be prolonged if there is mutual interest.
Percentage: 80% or 100%
Travel Requirements: Within Switzerland and Germany as part of setting up the study and networking with the project partners.
EURAXESS offer ID: 418616
The responsibility for the jobs published on this website, including the job description, lies entirely with the publishing institutions. The application is handled uniquely by the employer, who is also fully responsible for the recruitment and selection processes.
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org if you wish to download all jobs in XML.