ORGANISATION/COMPANYInstitutt for fredsforskning
RESEARCH FIELDPolitical sciences › Science and society
RESEARCHER PROFILERecognised Researcher (R2)
APPLICATION DEADLINE12/09/2019 23:00 - Europe/Brussels
LOCATIONNorway › OSLO
TYPE OF CONTRACTTemporary
HOURS PER WEEK37,5
OFFER STARTING DATE02/03/2020
EU RESEARCH FRAMEWORK PROGRAMMEH2020 / ERC
The Peace Research Institute Oslo (PRIO) invites applications for a three-year, full-time position within the project Future Migration as Present Fact (FUMI), funded by the European Research Council. The position provides the opportunity to work in a leading international research institution with an interdisciplinary environment. It is classified as a Senior Researcher position within PRIO’s seniority and salary system.
The research fellow will carry out extensive ethnographic research in West Africa and must have specific regional and linguistic expertise in addition to excellent analytical and writing skills. A second research fellow position within the same project, for a survey research specialist, will be announced in 2020.
The institute is located in spacious and attractive premises in central Oslo, Europe’s fastest-growing capital city. Employee benefits include access to the PRIO cabin in the mountains, a subsidized canteen, weekly physiotherapy exercise, weekly running group, subsidized gym membership and various social events.
The starting salary for a Senior Researcher at PRIO is NOK 655,000 (equivalent to step 71 in the Norwegian State salary system), approximately € 66,900. Employees are offered membership in the Norwegian Public Service Pension Fund.
The term ‘postdoc’ in the announcement is used with reference to common terminology elsewhere and does not have specific implications for employment at PRIO.
The candidate should have an interest in PRIO’s broader mission of conducting high-quality academic research on questions relevant to the promotion of a more peaceful world. For more information about PRIO’s research, see www.prio.org. The FUMI project is part of PRIO’s migration research group, which is well-established in the international field of migration research.
The form must be completed and submitted in a single session. Please review the form and prepare all attachments as specified before starting to complete it.
The starting date for the position is 1 March 2020 or as early as possible thereafter. The tentative recruitment schedule is as follows: notification of shortlisted applicants by early October; interviews 21–25 October; offer of employment by early November.
REQUIRED LANGUAGESENGLISH: ExcellentFRENCH: ExcellentPORTUGUESE: Excellent
The following are required qualifications:
1. A PhD in a relevant field in social sciences or humanities (e.g. geography, anthropology, sociology, psychology or African Studies).
2. Qualifications for conducting fieldwork in Gambia or Guinea, including relevant language skills (e.g. familiarity with Mandinka, Wolof, Pulaar, or Susu).
3. Substantial experience with ethnographic fieldwork, in-depth interviews and/or related qualitative research methods.
4. Excellent analytical and writing skills, including the ability to perceive and write about the theoretical significance of observations and experiences during fieldwork.
In addition, the following qualifications are desirable:
5. Familiarity with migration studies, youth studies, or other thematic research areas of relevance to the project.
6. An interest in mixed-methods research and/or familiarity with diverse social-science research methods.
7. Strong computing skills, including general software (e.g. Microsoft Office) as well as specialized software for research (e.g. NVivo, ATLAS.ti, Scrivener, EndNote)
8. Experience with publishing articles in international peer-reviewed journals.
9. An interest in, and experience with, research communication beyond academic audiences.
10. Proven ability to work both independently (e.g. during fieldwork) and in a team (e.g. through joint analysis and writing).
11. Experience, networks or language skills that can facilitate fieldwork in Ghana.
The PhD dissertation must have been submitted before the application deadline and the degree must have been awarded before the position is taken up. The candidate will be expected to live in Oslo and be present at PRIO except during fieldwork.
EURAXESS offer ID: 418651
The responsibility for the jobs published on this website, including the job description, lies entirely with the publishing institutions. The application is handled uniquely by the employer, who is also fully responsible for the recruitment and selection processes.
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org if you wish to download all jobs in XML.