RESEARCH FIELDBiological sciences › OtherEngineering › OtherMedical sciences › Other
RESEARCHER PROFILEFirst Stage Researcher (R1)
APPLICATION DEADLINE31/07/2019 23:59 - Europe/Brussels
LOCATIONBelgium › Leuven
TYPE OF CONTRACTPermanent
HOURS PER WEEK38
The Laboratory for Functional Epigenetics is looking for a PhD candidate to join our team to investigate the role of the epigenome in generating transcriptional heterogeneity. Cellular heterogeneity is key to multiple aspects of normal development, physiology and to diseases such as cancer. However, the biological control of cellular variability and heterogeneity has remained vastly underexplored, in part because heterogeneity is often obscured in bulk cell omics analyses. The advent of single cell omics technologies however opens up exciting new opportunities to study heterogeneity at the cellular level, a fundamental unit of biology. To help us in our quest to understand the role of the epigenome in heterogeneity control, we are looking for a PhD candidate eager to develop novel computational methods to quantify heterogeneity in a single cell omics datasets. Single cell datasets will include transciptomic, epigenomic and open chromatin analyses of tumours, and multi-omic combinations thereof. Successful candidates will have the option of being cross-trained in both computational and experimental work.
- Excellent training conditions for bioinformatics within a team of specialists, with expertise in epigenetics, genetics and oncology.
- Access to state-of-the-art infrastructure and possibility to invest in new infrastructure as needed
- A stimulating and diverse research program in a world-class academic environment.
- Start date: as soon as possible - the position is immediately available. We foresee a 4-year affiliation in total, contingent on successful evaluation by the doctoral school after 1 year.
- Applicants should hold a Master degree in bioinformatics, mathematics, physics, engineering or a biological or biomedical degree with additional training in bioinformatics.
- We are explicitly looking for innovative, creative personalities with ambition and a hands-on, can-do attitude.
- Programming/data analysis experience is required (preferably R).
- Knowledge of statistics, epigenetics and/or NGS data analysis is a strong plus.
- A proven track record of interest in (epi)genetics or biomedicine is a plus
- Motivated students of all nationalities with a strong commitment to basic and/or clinical research are invited to apply.
For more information please contact Prof. dr. Bernard Thienpont, tel.: +32 16 37 32 08, mail: email@example.com.
Candidates who applied earlier on this same vacancy, don't have to apply again.
You can apply for this job no later than 31/07/2019 via the online application tool
Web site for additional job details
EURAXESS offer ID: 418667
The responsibility for the jobs published on this website, including the job description, lies entirely with the publishing institutions. The application is handled uniquely by the employer, who is also fully responsible for the recruitment and selection processes.
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org if you wish to download all jobs in XML.