ORGANISATION/COMPANYJohannes Kepler University
RESEARCH FIELDBiological sciences › Biological engineeringPhysics
RESEARCHER PROFILEFirst Stage Researcher (R1)
APPLICATION DEADLINE29/02/2020 00:00 - Europe/Brussels
LOCATIONFrance › MONTPELLIER
TYPE OF CONTRACTTemporary
HOURS PER WEEK40
OFFER STARTING DATE07/01/2020
EU RESEARCH FRAMEWORK PROGRAMMEH2020 / Marie Skłodowska-Curie Actions
MARIE CURIE GRANT AGREEMENT NUMBER860592
The position is part of the Innovative Training Network (ITN) “PROTON”. The network is devoted to the investigation of proton transport and proton-coupled transport. It is funded under Marie Sklodowska-Curie actions (H2020-MSCA-ITN-2019, grant agreement number: 860592).
The main objective this project is the supramolecular construction of synthetic protons channels. We will design and study novel artificial self-assembled proton channels embedding dipolar water wires in conditions very close to confined biological conditions. The scope of this research project is to understand the compositional and structural requirements that the artificial channels must fulfil for selective transport for protons or water. The successful applicant will perform the following tasks: (1) Determine the self-assembly behaviors of synthetic proton channels in solution and in bilayer membranes; (2) Investigate the transport properties and correlate them to water structure at the molecular level under confined conditions. These results will determine the further optimal design of more active systems through a mechanistic understanding of the transport characterization; (3) Investigate the molecular-scale dynamics of water clusters, of fundamental and crucial relevance for the next structures and developments; (4) Identify the most efficient proton transport systems properties and set up guidelines on how to optimize them.
The PhD student will have two secondments (2 to 3 months each):
- Elements (Federico Thei), M24 (3 months): water and proton permeation experiments;
- JKU (Peter Pohl), M30 (3 months): fluorescent pH-shift assays.
We are offering a full time position for three years. The gross salary amounts to about €3783.39 per month. It corresponds to roughly €2300 x 36 after taxes and social security, including a monthly mobility allowance and - if applicable - a family allowance will be paid in addition.
The earliest starting date is the 1. November 2019.
REQUIRED EDUCATION LEVELBiological sciences: Master Degree or equivalentOther: Bachelor Degree or equivalent
- Applicants must, at the date of recruitment by PROTON, be in the first four years (full-time equivalent research experience measured from the date when the researcher obtained the degree entitling him/her to embark on a doctorate) of their research careers
- They should not have been awarded a doctoral degree.
- Applicants must not have resided or carried out their main activity (work, studies, etc.) in the country of the recruiting institution for more than 12 months in the 3 years immediately before the recruitment date. This excludes short stays such as holidays or compulsory national service.
- We look for students with exceptional academic performance holding or very close to completing their Master degree in Physics, Chemistry, Biophysics, Biochemistry or closely related subjects,
- Knowledge of the English language is essential.
- Competence in organic synthesis, supramolecular chemistry, molecular recognition, self-assembly,
- Knowledge of spectroscopic techniques (e.g. NMR, fluorescence spectroscopy, )
- Fundamentals and applications of a variety of biophysical techniques: fluorescence ion transport assays, patch clamp, electrophysiology on reconstituted lipid bilayers.
- Publications in international journals/attendance of international conferences in the following fields: supramolecular chemistry, artificial channels, bilayers.
- Ability to use programming languages for data acquisition
- Soft skills: presentation skill, team working ability
For all the above, knowledge is proven by publications, certificates, master thesis or equivalent documentation. Skills should be acknowledged in reference letters and demonstrated during the interview (presentation skills). During the interview each applicants presents his/her master thesis and a scientific paper from an area unrelated to his/her specialization (chosen by the interviewers).
Women are encouraged to apply. The recruitment committee gives preference to female candidates if they are equally qualified as male candidates.
- Motivation letter
- Reference letters
- Curriculum Vitae
- Copies of Bachelor and Master certificates
- Publications (if available).
Address for applications: email@example.com
EURAXESS offer ID: 467202
The responsibility for the jobs published on this website, including the job description, lies entirely with the publishing institutions. The application is handled uniquely by the employer, who is also fully responsible for the recruitment and selection processes.
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org if you wish to download all jobs in XML.