Postdoctoral positions at ICTP-SAIFR
The ICTP South American Institute for Fundamental Research (ICTP-SAIFR), located at the campus of the Instituto de Física Teórica (IFT-UNESP) in Sao Paulo, announces the opening of several FAPESP postdoctoral positions to begin in 2023. The initial hiring is for 2 years, and successful postdoctoral researchers will be able to extend the position for 3 years, and in exceptional cases for 4 years.
The FAPESP postdoctoral fellowships pay an annual tax-free salary of 101,750 Brazilian reais as well as moving costs and 10,000 reais per year for research expenses. Postdocs will also receive ICTP-SAIFR funds for travel to conferences, to invite visitors, and to organize schools and workshops.
Review of applications will begin in October 2022 and will continue until all positions have been filled. Candidates are recommended to send applications before December 10, 2022 by filling out the online application form here.
Candidates will need to supply some biographical information and their curriculum vitae with publication list, research project, and the email addresses of 3 researchers who can write recommendation letters. Candidates do not need to include grade transcripts in the application form. Any questions on filling out the online application form should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org
ICTP-SAIFR associated and principal researchers with whom the postdoctoral researchers can collaborate include:
- Complex Systems with applications to biology – Marcus Aguiar (Unicamp), Hilda Cerdeira Gomez (IFT-UNESP), Roberto Kraenkel (IFT-UNESP), Ricardo Martinez-Garcia (ICTP-SAIFR/IFT-UNESP/CASUS), José Nelson Onuchic (Rice U.), Paulo Prado (IB-USP), Pierre Ronceray (U. Marseille);
- Complex Systems with applications to condensed matter – Danilo Liarte (ICTP-SAIFR/IFT-UNESP), Eduardo Miranda (Unicamp), Victor Quito (Iowa State U.), Aline Ramires (Paul Scherrer I.), Alexandre Reily Rocha (IFT-UNESP), Silvio Salinas (IFUSP);
- Astrophysics and Astroparticles – Enrico Bertuzzo (IFUSP), Chee Sheng Fong (UFABC), Fabio Iocco (U. Napoli), Rodrigo Nemmen (IAG-USP), Elisabete de Gouveia Dal Pino (IAG-USP), Farinaldo Queiroz (ICTP-SAIFR/IIP-Natal), Riccardo Sturani (ICTP-SAIFR/IFT-UNESP);
- Cosmology – Raul Abramo (IFUSP), Marcos Lima (IFUSP), Vivian Miranda (Stony Brook), Rafael Porto (DESY Hamburg), Rogério Rosenfeld (ICTP-SAIFR/IFT-UNESP), Riccardo Sturani (ICTP-SAIFR/IFT-UNESP);
- Particle Physics – Oscar Éboli (IFUSP), Renata Funchal (IFUSP), Marcelo Guzzo (Unicamp), Gastão Krein (IFT-UNESP), Ricardo Matheus (IFT-UNESP), Sergio Novaes (NCC-UNESP/IFT-UNESP), Rogério Rosenfeld (ICTP-SAIFR/IFT-UNESP).
- String Theory/Field Theory – Nathan Berkovits (ICTP-SAIFR/IFT-UNESP), Andrei Mikhailov (IFT-UNESP), Horatiu Nastase (IFT-UNESP), Victor Rivelles (IFUSP), Diego Trancanelli (IFUSP/U. Modena), Pedro Vieira (ICTP-SAIFR/IFT-UNESP/Perimeter).
Deadline: 10 December 2022.
Two Simons-FAPESP Research Professor Positions
The ICTP South American Institute for Fundamental Research (ICTP-SAIFR) announces the opening of two Simons-FAPESP tenure-track research professor positions to begin in 2023. Candidates from all areas related to theoretical physics are encouraged to apply, with preference in the areas of gravitational wave physics, cosmology, particle physics, quantum information/quantum matter, statistical mechanics, complex systems and biological physics. The international search committee is chaired by Michael Green (Cambridge U.) and include William Bialek (Princeton), Ignacio Cirac (MPI Garching), Leticia Cugliandolo (Sorbonne), Scott Dodelson (Carnegie Mellon), David Gross (KITP) and ICTP-SAIFR council members.
ICTP-SAIFR is a South American center for theoretical physics created in 2011 as a collaboration of the International Centre for Theoretical Physics (ICTP) with the São Paulo State University (UNESP) and the São Paulo Research Funding Agency (FAPESP). It is located at the Instituto de Física Teórica (IFT-UNESP) campus in downtown São Paulo and has a large number of postdocs and visitors. In addition to performing research and organizing activities, the new professor will assist in the teaching and supervising of Master’s and PhD students of IFT-UNESP.
Salary will be commensurate with qualifications and experience, and will include fellowships from both the Simons Foundation and FAPESP. Additional grants are available for research/travel and salary from state and national funding agencies, and the professor can use ICTP-SAIFR funds for graduate students, postdocs and visitors, as well as participate in ICTP-SAIFR exchange agreements with the ICTP Trieste, Perimeter, Princeton-CUNY, KITP, Mainz, CERN, Fermilab, Saclay, Nordita, IFISC and IFT-Madrid.
Although applications will be accepted until the position is filled, candidates are strongly encouraged to apply before January 15, 2023 by filling out the online application form at academicjobsonline.org with a cover letter explaining why you would be a good hire at ICTP-SAIFR, your curriculum vitae, research project and publication list, and the names of at least 3 researchers who will send recommendation letters.
Deadline: 15 January 2023.